The Foundation is committed to make the communities in which A. O. Smith has operations better places to live and work. It achieves this by partnering with and supporting higher education, cultural and social welfare, medical research, and improved health services.
Foundation History Timeline
2015: The A. O. Smith Foundation celebrates its 60th anniversary
1985: Matching Gift Program created, program encourages employees to support colleges and universities by matching their donations on a dollar-for-dollar basis
1978: L. B. Smith partners with Carlton Wilson, CEO of the Robert. W Baird Company, and together started a campaign to fund the construction of the first campus building at the Medical College of Wisconsin
1972: L. B. Smith joins the Medical College of Wisconsin Board
1960: Scholarship Program initiated for children of employees
1951: Foundation formally organizes as the Glennellen Foundation
1955: L. B. (Ted) Smith reestablishes the Glennellen Foundation as the A. O. Smith Foundation
1930: Mr. and
Mrs. L. R. Smith establish a convalescent home for children suffering with
1904: Start of the Red Feather Campaign, now known as United Way. A. O. Smith begins supporting the campaign; a relationship that is now in its 111th year.